Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Review and Modification: HGBF 1/144 Gundam X Maoh | "X-Niten Ichi-Ryu"

I've always been a fun of the Gundam X design, even if the asymmetrical design took some getting used to. To my joy, the new series, Gundam Build Fighters, has an X variant known as the X Maoh. Thankfully, my friend Zero Four had some stock available.

I decided to get two, and then bash some parts together with some X Divider weapons. The following mobile suit became the result, and I've taken to calling it the X-Niten Ichi-Ryu, which sounds much better than Maoh-Maoh.

Without further ado:

Standard Mode

In standard mode, it basically looks like a glorified X Divider unit.

Observations:
1) There's a special left hand with an extended and bent wrist. it's supposed to be used in holding the cannons, but in this case it works just as well with the shield.

2) Those equip arms will get loose some day. Needs more sticky tack.



Two-Gun Cannon Mode
This is basically the gun mode for the X-Niten, With proper positioning of the equip arms, you can actually move the cannon around with the hand holding on to the trigger. I like the logic of it. 
 
Double Satellite Cannon Mode
This is as traditional as the Gundam X is supposed to be... with the two cannons.

Sword Mode
I figured I could just slip and flip the cannons over, and make them look like large scabbards - which works well with the top-loaded sabers.

 
 One sword drawn


Overall, my only worries about the design are the following:

1) The equip arms are going to get loose.
2) The front skirts are really thin - I've actually had mine damaged at the mid-attachment point, I was just able to save it with glue.
3) The cannon-to-equip-arm connecting blocks are rather loose - no choice but to seal the cannon halves, and the block halves (separately, if you still want to retrofit the cannon into the standard X cannon mode).
4) The wings really don't fit into their halves.

But otherwise, the basic X Maoh is a SWEET kit. I wouldn't mind buying another X-Divider and Gundam X kit, just to outfit them with the Maoh parts as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment