Saturday, July 27, 2013

Review: MG 1/100 RGM-96X Jesta, Part 2

Welcome to the second part of my review of the MG Jesta. We're going tackle a few more things about the kit, stuff that I haven't covered in the first part.

I. Accessories: Shield
The shield is an asymmetrical take on the original Jegan's shield, where both grenade launchers are mounted on one side only. In the model kit, however, the big weakness of the shield is the attachment point to the backpack. There's no two ways around it, you must affix the equip arm to the backpack connector with something like white glue, or in my case, blue-tac. It's a bit disappointing, and given how stiff the joints are for the shield's equip arm (though the ways you can pose the shield thanks to it is a pleasant surprise), it's a break-point for the design.


 


II. Backpack
The "mobility" of the thrusters is a pleasant surprise, but the real deal is the polycap slot at the top of the back pack, as it is definitely a plug-in for the Jesta Cannon variant, I am sure. In the picture below, I've removed the top armor pieces and the top plate that covers the polycap slot.


III. Torso and Arms / Weapons and Equipment Storage
I have no complaints for the saber mount, as the design of Gundam saber handles really does mean that you have to take care of the attachment spike. On the right arm, you have space for three e-clips (or clips for solid shells, I always get confused with the rifle specs in Gundam, whether energy weapon or shell-firing). What I don't like about it is that the clips hold on by friction - again, blue-tac to the rescue, in the event the attachment becomes loose.


The rifle mount in the backplate is par for the course in Gundam Designs. By the way, the rifle's scope system and forward handle are removable. I didn't think of it much at first, but I just realized now that it paves the way for the rifle mods of the Jesta Cannon.


Conclusion
This is a great kit to have, but I will always have issues about the ankle jointing, as it makes the kit unnecessarily sensitive to what pose you can put it in without it falling over. My other issues are the shield equip arm mount, and the hands, which I feel are unnecessarily jointed (fixed hands would be better, and that's what the new Gunpla Builder Parts are for). Still, it's a great-looking kit, and sure to be a conversation piece.

And yes, there are provisions for the Jesta Cannon, so make of that what you will.


Click here for more reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment