Friday, June 14, 2013

Review: RG 1/144 Gundam Seed Destiny - Destiny Gundam

My initial reaction with Real Grade kits has always been one of suspicion, thanks to my bad experience with the RX-78-2 RG kit, which probably winds hands-down for Gundam kits that simply have too many parts that tend to fall off and get lost. However, much of my faith was restored when I assembled the RG Destiny Gundam - though I still have some major gripes about it.

Head and Torso
The head itself is rather simple, with a gray internal block that seems to have some internal details... that do not get seen anyway. Also, the front and back main sensors and the eyes are all part of one transparent piece. If you use the right set of eye stickers, you can technically make the eyes light up by simple shining a light at the back sensor. I'll take more about the stickers later.

The torso itself is... simple. Given the complex internals I saw in the RG RX-78, the Destiny's internal torso mechanics were straightforward, and definitely devoted more to mobility than internal detail. In fact, the cockpit seems to have been designed as an afterthought, and I for one am not complaining, as there are no micro-figures to show such a detail off with.

Arms and Legs
First, the arms: They are nicely proportioned, and the mechanics are top-notch. Nothing much to say, as the only extra gimmick would be the mounted boomerang-sabers at the shoulders.

As for the legs, they contain one of my major gripes - the shifting or moving parts that, while they look impressive, mechanically, don't really makes sense, since armor is supposed to be a fixed plating for protection. Still, I like the proportions, except for the Donald Duck feet - and even then... Well, I'll talk about that later. 

Backpack and Accessories
The back pack and the attendant weapon accessories make sense from a toy  point of view, but I'll say it now: the backpack is HUGE. And the wings look somewhat stubby when in passive mode. They look great when fully extended, though.

The rifle is a standard thing for me, no great shakes, and the shield also has more detail, but isn't much more than an upgrade of the old HGGS Destiny's shield.

And the Blast-hands? They're large! I know it's a bit of an emphasis, and it looks photogenic, but in real life, it makes the whole kit look like an overgrown.... kid.

The beam effects and the energy shield are perfectly detailed, no complaints there.

As for the NUMEROUS markings? I am not a fan. I understand if it will make it look like some sort of Ver.Ka. in 1/144 scale, it's just that it looks like it will make the mecha broder on being tattooed all over the place.

Negatives?
One gigantic negative is the fact that the Destiny can hardly stand on its own - you will really need to buy a proper action base for it, Make sure, too that it's the right kind (the smaller one for 1/144), as the kit has its own connector end for the stand. Oh, and the wrist plates? be careful, they tend to get lost.

Conclusion
I will be honest, I am not a fan of RG kits, but this Destiny kit made a believer out of me. I heartily recommend this kit to anyone who wants to collect a high-quality Gundam kit in the 1/144 scale.


Click here for more reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment