Saturday, September 14, 2013

HGUC 1/144 RX-0 Gundam Unicorn 03 Phenex [Destroy Mode] Ver.GFT - Review

I admit, I do have a fetish for the Gundam Unicorn design, though some of my friends find it entirely too complicated. I also admit that I sold my MG 1/100 version of it, since i found it too fragile. However, the 1/144 model kits seem to be a fair representation of the kit, even though you have to buy two kits for the different mecha modes.

And now, the latest version of the Unicorn is the supposed third version, the Phenex. I actually thought the name was a piece of Engrish, but apparently, Phenex is an actual name - a demon who appears as a Phoenix, and is a patron of sciences and art.

Click here for more information on the Phenex, from the Gundam Wikia.

HGUC 1/144 RX-0 Gundam Unicorn 03 Phenex [Destroy Mode] Ver.GFT


Additional parts:
The Phenex is essentially a Destroy mode unicorn molded in what I lovingly refer to as "Zoid-Gold" plastic. Aside from that, the kit comes with a pair of Backpack add-on equipment attachment bars, two head spike parts, and two full-destroy mode DE shields. The extra parts are due to the fact that the DE Shields parts frames are doubled, and since those parts are there, we get extras!


Observations:
One of the reasons why I don't really like this kind of plastic is that it tends to be soft, both in actual composition, and in terms of reproducing the mold's sharper edges. Given that, I've had some accidents with the shoulder armor plates, and some of them are stuck on with blue-tack. Not very nice.


Conclusion:
I like this kit, but I'd rather transfer all the special parts to another unicorn, and then just repaint it into gold. Still, that being said... I like the design. Very flashy, and very much a good addition to a display cabinet.

Special thanks to ZeroFour, as it was through him that I was able to buy one of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment